Week of March 31st: Padilla discussion

    

    This week I was really interested in the poem "Out of the Game" by Padilla. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of analyzing poems because I am more of a literal person rather than figuring out what other meanings behind what the author is saying. Due to this, I find the discussions we have about the poems to be very helpful, especially with the Padilla poem. When reading the poem, I took it very literally which was, in my mind, not the right way to go about it. But as we talked about it as a class I was able to actually see the double meanings in place. For example, I found the circus setting very interesting because someone pointed out how it brought out the feeling of fear but also forced happiness. But overall, I found the discussion very helpful and allowed me to see the poem in a new light. 


Comments

  1. I am the same type of person as you! I completely missed the meaning of the poem when I read it on my own. I missed to notice the sarcastic tone. I think that This goes to show how important it is to consider the context that a poem is written under. I am definitely going to try to pay closer attention to that in the future haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love the discussion after the poems too! I am very interested in poetry, so I enjoy analyzing it, but it is still super easy to miss double meanings or symbols in poetry even if you enjoy it as a hobby. I completely missed some of the meanings in Padilla's poem "Out of the Game," which is why I ended up rewriting some of my discussion question in class haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Jayden, for the blog. I am glad you enjoyed reading the poem and I too struggle sometimes interpreting poetry. You left me wanting to read more about your interpretation of how/why it may have changed as a result of class discussion.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction To Myself