Week of October 7

This week we read “Royal Commentaries of the Incas” and I found the document to be very intriguing. Inca Garcilaso being of both Inca and Spanish cultures brought both sides of the story in his writing. With this writing, Garcilaso hoped to give a clearer view of Inca and Spanish history in an authentic way. To do this he brings in both the Spanish and Inca views of history. In the beginning, he states, “I declare that I shall simply tell tales I imbibed … and those I have since request from my own relatives … but will [also] recount the same things the Spanish historians have written…”

When comparing this piece to other pieces we have read such as the Cortezs’ letter there is a clear difference between the writing. Cortez had a clear purpose in mind when writing his letter but Garcilaso just wanted to give an authentic view of history for both the Incas and the Spanish. Clearly, Cortez has something to gain for himself when writing his letter, but Garcilaso just wanted to give a clear view of history.

I found this interesting because up until now every document we’ve read was written for self-gain. I’m starting to wonder where we are going from here and how this document will come into play in future sections of this class. 


Comments

  1. Thank you, Jayden, for the post. You are right that the Inca Garcilaso's account brings both the Inca and Spanish views together but I am left wondering if his accounts are objective since he was descended from Huascar's panaca. Didn't his account favor Huascar's position? We seem to be left with one side of the story ....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction To Myself