Week of November 4

This week I found our reading of Cañizares-Esguerra's "Racial, Religious, and Civic Creole Identity in Spanish America" interesting. What I found most interesting was how they determined their race by astrology. I find that interesting because in today's culture some of us use astrology signs. When using these signs, we use them to describe our personality traits. So as an example someone born October 23rd - November 21sr would be a Scorpio. Scorpios are known to be determined, loyal, and honest. As I was reading, I kept wondering if our idea of the astrology signs came from Creole’s idea or at least had an influence on our views. I also found our discussion about Quilombo intriguing. All of our answers to the discussion question given were different. We talked about how within unity there is always going to be disunity and another group talked about how the disunity caused the fall of Palmares. I think everyone having a different perspective on the movie was a good thing. These perspectives bring different ideas to light and can teach someone something new. 

Comments

  1. Jayden, I found your take on astrology signs very interesting! I've wondered about the foundations of astrological signs, and I do think it's quite possible that Creole may have inspired these beliefs. I am an Aries, and Aries are known to be bold and take leadership, sometimes in a "thinking after they leap" fashion, which are things I recognize in myself at points. I also found the group discussion of Quilombo interesting! I also found myself pondering the idea of "disunity with unity." That reminds me that no two people are going to agree on every single thing, so while they may be united, they will still disagree on some things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jayden, for your post. Your discussion of astrology is an example of how people used to be grouped before the concept of race was created. I agree with you that having different perspectives on the movie (or on anything else) is a good thing, as it can open the possibility for learning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction To Myself